Re: fb: URIs?

Hi,

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, RFC 2717
alluded to use of SMI enterprise prefix names
(e.g., "pwg-ifx:" for IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Fax),
under the general topic of Alternate Trees (i.e., to
the IETF Tree).  RFC 4395 did away with this
standard prefix syntax for URI schemes.

Simply "x-foo:" is just as collision prone as "foo:",
when they are first minted (and of course they are
unregistered) in new applications and protocols
from non-IETF standards bodies and ISVs.

The long-standing stable approach in IETF SNMP
and other management protocols has been SMI
enterprise name or number as a prefix - it works.

Note that "facebook-fb:" would be harmless in
both prefix-aware and legacy URI parsers.

Cheers,
- Ira
Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc