Re: fb: URIs?

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 19:32 +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 17.02.2010 19:21, Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:

The bug is: going around the registry is easier than going thru it.
i.e. the cost of registering a scheme outweighs the benefits
in almost all cases. :-/

It's not like DNS where until you arrange for the powers
that be to map your names to IP addresses, things don't work.

Eran, you wrote
  "take a look at the list of unregistered schemes - it's LONG"

Did you have a particular list in mind? If there _is_ such
thing as _the_ list, that's a good thing; i.e. conflicts
are being managed, to some extent.

My sense is: there is no one good list. I hear there are hundreds
of unregistered URI schemes in various operating systems
and applications; I expect there is overlap.

I used to maintain one. Then I delegated to a wiki
  http://esw.w3.org/topic/UriSchemes

Meanwhile, wikipedia has quite a good list too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URI_schemes#Unofficial_but_common_URI_schemes

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E