Re: [Uri-review] ssh URI

> On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 19:50 +0200, Eliot Lear wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > I see some definite negatives to what you are suggesting:
> >
> >      1. Requires some sort of consortia or legal framework.
>
> It does require something, but it isn't much -- just the maintenance of
> a URI domain.  You could even base your URI prefixes on purl.org PURLs,
> if want to permit the resolution to move around over time:
> http://purl.org/docs/index.html
>
> >      1. Requires an additional resolution.  SSH is commonly used for
> >         administration, and so I would be loathe to add that sort of
> >         step.
>
> No, it doesn't *require* an additional resolution.  The additional
> resolution only comes into play as a fallback, if the client doesn't
> know how to handle them as special SSH URIs.
>
> >      1. Requires ssh applications to understand HTTP URI schema.
>
> No, they just need to know to recognize the special SSH HTTP URI prefix,
> which might be something like "http://sshuri.org/".  This is no
> different in principle from recognizing the special "ssh:" URI prefix if
> a new scheme is used.

David, the nice thing about distributed extensibility -- which I think
is the main argument in favor of what you're proposing -- is that you
don't need to convince the IETF.  Instead, you have to convince the
market.  Which is easier, I have no idea....  but you can go ahead (as
you did with t-d-b.org) and set up the service, and try to get people to
adopt it.  (Fortunately, you don't need to convince a consensus of the
market; the utility grows smoothly as more people adopt it.  I guess the
utility is linear until folks start recognizing that prefix, then it
jumps a bit.)

    -- Sandro