Re: [Uri-review] ssh URI

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 19:50 +0200, Eliot Lear wrote:
> David,
>
> I see some definite negatives to what you are suggesting:
>
>      1. Requires some sort of consortia or legal framework.

It does require something, but it isn't much -- just the maintenance of
a URI domain.  You could even base your URI prefixes on purl.org PURLs,
if want to permit the resolution to move around over time:
http://purl.org/docs/index.html

>      1. Requires an additional resolution.  SSH is commonly used for
>         administration, and so I would be loathe to add that sort of
>         step.

No, it doesn't *require* an additional resolution.  The additional
resolution only comes into play as a fallback, if the client doesn't
know how to handle them as special SSH URIs.

>      1. Requires ssh applications to understand HTTP URI schema.

No, they just need to know to recognize the special SSH HTTP URI prefix,
which might be something like "http://sshuri.org/".  This is no
different in principle from recognizing the special "ssh:" URI prefix if
a new scheme is used.

David Booth