From: uri-review-bounces@ietf.org [mailto:uri-review-bounces@ietf.org] On
Behalf Of David Booth
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 3:17 PM
To: Ian Hickson
Cc: uri-review@ietf.org; hybi@ietf.org; uri@w3.org
Subject: Re: [Uri-review] ws: and wss: schemes

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 05:35 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> The formal registrations for the ws: and wss: schemes, part of the Web
> Socket protocol, will be available in the Web Socket protocol ID as soon
> as the IETF upload process completes:
>
>    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hixie-thewebsocketprotocol#section-7

This looks to me like a perfect example of a case where a new scheme is
not needed, as the same thing can be accomplished by defining an http
URI prefix, as described in "Converting New URI Schemes or URN
Sub-Schemes to HTTP":
http://dbooth.org/2006/urn2http/
Note that I am talking about the *scheme*, not the protocol.  In
essence, a URI prefix such as "http://wss.example/" can be defined that
would serve the same purpose as a "wss:" scheme: an agent that
recognizes this prefix will know to attempt the WSS protocol.  But an
agent that doesn't *might* still be able to fall back to doing something
useful with the URI if it were an http URI, whereas it couldn't if it
were a "wss:" URI.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.