RE: [Uri-review] ws: and wss: schemes

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 18:35 +0200, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:
> 1.  The document "Converting New URI Schemes or URN Sub-Schemes to HTTP"
> [1] specifically addresses the use case where the custom URL is presented to
> a casual user.  Since there are no legitimate casual users of the Web
> Sockets protocol that is designed to be used by Web applications only, there
> are no benefits to introducing the additional complexity of using an http
> alias.

I respectfully disagree.  I think it is a virtual certainty that if the
WSS protocol is useful, it will be used in ways far beyond its original
intent.  I don't think it would be wise to artificially constrain the
applicability of a new protocol by claiming that casual users are not
'legitimate'.

>  2.  Additionally, the proposed solution of using the URI prefix
> "http://wss.example/" is suited for custom protocols, according to the
> description at [1].  A protocol promulgated by the WWW Corporation can
> hardly be viewed as custom.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "custom protocol", but WSS is
*exactly* the kind of protocol that [1] was talking about.  The
introduction uses "XyzConsortium" as an example, but you can think "WWW
Corporation" instead.

David

--
David Booth, Ph.D.