Re: some questions about RFC3986

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:54:53 +0100, Mike Brown <mike@skew.org> wrote:
>> I'm trying to understand how section 4.4 of http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986
>> applies to XMLHttpRequest. Specifically, I'm having trouble with the
>> following things:
>>
>> * What does the "should" entail (no conformance critera, RFC2119, etc.);
>> * Definition of classes of products;
>> * "retrieval action" seems undefined.
>
> RFC 3986 / STD 66 is just saying that there is a class of URI refs that
> are considered "same-document" refs, and applications that make use of
> representations of documents containing such refs should take that into
> consideration.

Thanks for your reply, but I don't see how this answers my questions.

> [...] You should not expect that a new representation (a new, separate
> byte string) would be sought to fulfill that dereference, though it
> wouldn't be breaking any rules to do so.

So you're saying the should requirement on user agents can be safely
ignored (by user agents)? I suppose it can, given that there's no RFC2119
reference... It would solve the problem at least.

> What are you encountering in the behavior of XHR that's causing you
> concern?

Well, imagine a same-document reference request from the XMLHttpRequest
object. Would you get back some cached document, the current DOM or a new
instance of the document freshly loaded from the server?

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>