Re: XMPP IRIs: feedback requested

At 1:57 PM -0600 8/30/05, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>Barring definition of a separate mechanism (do you mean a separate IANA mechanism for registration of IRI schemes?), I assume we should (1) proceed with registration of a URI scheme in accordance with established procedures and (2) define the scheme in terms of URI syntax rather than IRI syntax. #1 seems straightforward but I remain somewhat confused about #2 since previous IESG feedback indicated that it would be preferable in our case to re-use the transformation rules already specified in RFC 3987.
>
>Peter

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I think step 1 is correct and that it implies URI syntax be
used in the scheme definition.  I think the next bit is to write "There will also be XMPP
IRIs, and they are transformed into XMPP URIs as specified in RFC3987."  Give any
special rules that will apply to the coding of XMPP IRIs in that section.  That won't
over-ride any of the rules in 3987 or the URI STD.

Eventually IANA may need a registry that says "These schemes are both IRI and URI
capable", but we can't have one that says "These schemes are just IRIs".

Do other folks think this makes sense as a way to proceed?
			regards,
				Ted