Re: Comments on "Guidelines and Registration Procedures for new URI Schemes"

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:08:52 +0900, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2005, at 8:09 AM, Felix Sasaki wrote:
>
>> Comments:
>>
>> [1] The passage "In particular, the mapping should describe the
>> mechanisms for encoding binary or character strings within valid
>> character sequences in a URI.". There is already a mapping mechanism in
>> rfc 3987, sec. 3.1. It should be made sure in your document that the
>> mechanism you are describing is compatible with the rfc 3987 mechanism.
>> One reason for this is the role of UTF-8, which is handled in the
>> mechanism of rfc 3987.
>
> Felix, all of your comments are requesting that the document defining
> the URI scheme registry should have dependencies on the IRI RFC.

Well, at least comment [5] is just a proposal for a rewording, without any
reference to the IRI RFC:

[5] Sec. 5.4  URI Scheme Registration Template: Field "Encoding
considerations.". Also
title of sec. 2.6 "Internationalization and character encoding". The way
you use the
terms "character encoding" and "encoding" are maybe unclear. Proposal: You
call this
section and section 2.6 "Character Encoding Considerations".

> That is neither appropriate nor necessary, since IRI already defines
> the mapping from URI to IRI in 3987. RFC 3987 is not at the same
> level of standardization as URIs: it is a new technology that is
> defined as a mapping from URIs, not something that determines the
> requirements for URIs.

In section 2.5, you write: "When describing URI schemes in which (some of)
the elements of the URI are actually representations of human-readable
text, ..."
For such URI schemes, you will need answers that *can* be provided by
section 3.1 of RFC 3987.

In section 2.3 you wrote: "In particular, the mapping should describe the
mechanisms for encoding binary or character strings within valid character
sequences in a URI.". Again, RFC 3987 *can* be a mapping for a subset of
URI schemes. I'm not proposing a dependency on it, but to make the
relation to it clearer.

Cheers,

Felix