RE: RFC 2822 email addresses in tag URIs

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:28:25 -0700
To: "'Al Gilman'" <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>, uri@w3.org

> You are suggesting it's no problem for one speaker group to be able
> to tag things with addr-spec values that plainly say "this is
> mine"

The appearance of an addr-spec value in a tag URI does not
"plainly say" any such thing. It's merely a convenient
way of making sure there are no conflicts.  This came up
in the discussion of the "tag" URI, although the point isn't
as clear as it could be in the actual document. There is
no "resolution" process. They are just unique IDs. They're
more readable than UUIDs, but it doesn't mean that they are
readable text.

And "Author's 48 hours" isn't really the right time to re-raise
this issue. I think the document in the RFC editor queue
is just fine as is.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net