RE: Question regarding RFC 3986, Section 3.2

Hi,

I have a question somewhat related to the prior question.

Is the operation of parsing any uri into its five major components, then
recomposing them according to section 5.3, NOT guaranteed to produce a
result identical to the input?

scheme:// -> {scheme,undefined,undefined,undefined,undefined} -> scheme:

Is this true?

As an aside...

Interestingly enough, Sun documents their source stating that only a
non-empty path may follow an empty authority, clearly made to get file:
uris working on Windows. But this would appear to be a mistake on their
part.

Bob