RE: Duplication of provisional URI namespace tokens in 2717/8-bis

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:32:08 -0800
To: "'Weibel,Stu'" <weibel@oclc.org>, uri@w3.org

We are not "allowing" duplication. We're just acknowledging
that it might happen and if it does happen, we're better off
telling people about the duplicates.

If two independent groups inadvertently define "name:"
as a URI scheme, but define it differently, should we only
let the first one into the registry? First come first served?
Even if the second one to attempt registration was first
to actually use the scheme name?

The proposed registration rules are based on the fact that
it is possible to invent and deploy a URI scheme without
IANA and IESG approval.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net