From: Larry Masinter [mailto:LMM@acm.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 1:21 PM
To: Weibel,Stu; uri@w3.org
Subject: RE: Duplication of provisional URI namespace tokens in
2717/8-bis

> To permit multiple URI Scheme registrations for any given token is to
> severely impair the usefulness of provisional registration.  It
> affords no protection against either careless or malicious
> registrations that would compromise a given provisional registration.

I disagree about "no protection" -- it adds some protection against
inadvertent duplication (because it allows publication of a URI scheme
usage), and even against malicious registration (because registration
includes sufficient information for the community to react.)

In any case, if you don't like the proposed process, what would you
propose in its place? This seems to me like the best we can do, given
all the requirements.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net