Re: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-file-uri-03.txt

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:32:10 +0100
To: uri@w3.org

Internet-Drafts@ietf.org wrote:

>         Title           : The file URI Scheme
>         Author(s)       : P. Hoffman
>         Filename        : draft-hoffman-file-uri-03.txt
>         Pages           : 6
>         Date            : 2005-1-3
[...]
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-file-uri-03.txt

This draft says:

| On systems running some versions of Microsoft Windows, the
| local drive specification is sometimes preceded by a "/"
| character.  Thus,  for a file called "example.ini" in the
| "windows" directory on the "c:" drive, the URL might be:
|
| file:///c:/windows/example.ini

That's also true for OS/2, incl. my IBM OS/2 Warp 3, which has
nothing to do with Microsoft.  For some obscure reasons Lynx
insists on an explicit file://localhost/ instead of file:/// -
Lynx interprets the latter as some kind of ftp: URL (claiming
that this is a Mosaic feature, please don't ask me what's that
about, I've no idea ;-)
                           Bye, Frank