Re: draft-06 plus last-call changes

On Sep 8, 2004, at 9:28 PM, John Cowan wrote:
> RFC 2821 (Section 2.4) specifies that mail local-parts are
> case-sensitive,
> and RFC 2368 does not override this, so this claim is false:
>
>> For example, the "mailto" URI contains mailbox address data that is
>> defined to be case-insensitive, and therefore "mailto:Joe@Example.com"
>> is required to be equivalent to "mailto:joe@example.com".
>
> However, mailto:Joe@example.com is equivalent to
> mailto:Joe@Example.com.

Thanks for noticing that.  I have replaced the paragraph with

    Some schemes define additional subcomponents that consist of
    case-insensitive data, giving an implicit license to normalizers
    to convert such data to a common case (e.g., all lowercase).
    For example, URI schemes that define a subcomponent of path to
    contain an Internet hostname, such as the "mailto" URI scheme,
    cause that subcomponent to be case-insensitive and thus subject
    to case normalization (e.g., "mailto:Joe@Example.COM" is equivalent
    to "mailto:Joe@example.com" even though the generic syntax considers
    the path component to be case-sensitive).

....Roy