Re: Relative URI or relative URI reference

Larry Masinter wrote:

>>>There are active implementers on the IETF's Atompub WG who are
>>>confused about this. If that fact is not enough for you to want to
>>>clarify things, then I doubt I can convince you more.
>
> I agree with Roy. At this point, we don't need second-hand
> reports that "someone else is confused". What we need are
> first-hand reports that "someone who has read RFC2396bis
> feels that the wording in IT is still confusing."
>
> So, can we please ask those active implementers in the IETF
> Atompub WG to speak for themselves?

I believe that this is an example of what Paul was referring to:

   http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg08608.html

To summarize: the fact that relative URIs references are not considered
URIs is a new position, and should somehow be highlighted.

> If you want to speak for yourself -- do you personally think the
> wording in RFC2396bis is confusing? -- then that would be
> fine, too.

I personally find the following confusing in RFC296bis:

  - - -

The title of section 4.2:

   Relative URI

I understand and appreciate the argument that the BNF needs to retain
the previous usage of the term (some informative text making this
history clear wouldn't hurt), but the title shouldn't reinforce the now
incorrect usage of this term.

  - - -

The fifth bullet of section 6.3:

    Prevent dot-segments appearing in non-relative URI paths.

I'll suggest dropping the words "non-relative" from this text.

- Sam Ruby