Re: definition of "character"

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 08:19:58 -0500
To: Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>
Cc: uri@w3.org

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 08:01, Dan Connolly wrote:
[...]
> > I do still feel that opportunities to correct widely-held misperceptions about
> > character & encoding-related concepts & terminology should not be squandered,
> > if retention of said misconceptions makes the spec more difficult to
> > understand or detracts from its usefulness and implementability. But whatever.
> > Never mind.
>
> Yes, well, I think lots of people would like to clear that sort
> of thing up. But finding the right words isn't easy.

Reviewing the issues list, I discover this issue:

 041-encodingSection 2 on encoding causes too much confusion
 http://gbiv.com/protocols/uri/rev-2002/issues.html#041-encoding

So in some sense, the question has been asked and answered.
If, after reviewing the history of the issue, you can see
something that wasn't considered, or some way to improve
the text, please let us know.