Re: URIs, URLs, and URNs: phone:// IS obsolete

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:39:40 +0900
To: Matthew Wilson <matthew@mjwilson.demon.co.uk>, uri@w3.org
Hello Matthew,

Many thanks for the catch. That some uri scheme gets used somewhere
doesn't mean it's not obsolete. One core goal of uris is to have
a single format for a single functionality. Having two different
schemes for one and the same thing is a bad idea.

'tel:' is standards track (RFC 2806). I have difficulties
understanding where VoiceXML got the 'phone:' thing from.
I have informed the Voice Browser WG of the problem.
For some background, now history, on why it is tel and not phone, please see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/1998AprJun/0029.html.

Regards,  Martin.