Re: Excess URI schemes considered harmful

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 12:11:26PM -0400, Mark Baker wrote:
> > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-cturi-02.txt
>
> Registered media types already have URIs.  For example, "application/xml" has;
>
> http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/application/xml

> Granted, types that aren't guaranteed to be registered (such as experimental, vendor, or personal tree) don't get URIs of that form.  But I don't
> believe creating new URI schemes is necessary or desirable, when an existing scheme such as "http" would suffice.

Are you sure it suffices? The IANA is no longer at that site and that
URL will sease to function soon. If you want a permanent URI for that
concept take a look at these two documents:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-iana-urn-01.txt

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klyne-urn-ietf-lang-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klyne-urn-ietf-conneg-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klyne-urn-ietf-rfc822-00.txt

the last one being the one you want...

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
michael@neonym.net      |                              | http://www.neonym.net