> . . .
> } From: Deutsch, Peter.  "Resource Discovery in an Internet Environment"
> } Master Thesis, School of Computer Science, McGill University June 1992.
> }
> } p. 19 (yes I am looking at a hard copy)  Chapter 3 Design Issues.
> }
> } There is mention of "Unique Resource Serial Numbers or URSNs" as a proposed
> } mechanism for solving problems of duplicates, similar names and retrieved
> } sets from multiple archives.
> }
> } p. 26 section "Unique Resource Serial Numbers"
> }
> } and in many other sections as the model is described.
>
> I stnad corrected! That's definitely the term I was
> referring to (to which I was referring? :-)
>

> } If Peter doesn't have this up on the net somewhere, let me know what you
> } need and I will read this more carefully.  Please reference document
> } D486re.
>
> It's currently buried on, of all things, a NeXT floptical
> which is being ornery and unreadable <ulp> Daivd (my ops
> guy) seems to think a cleaning of the old drive will be
> enough to resurrect it, but it can't happen this week. I
> hope this is enough for you Michael??

Oh sure. The article was finished yesterday. I'm more curious about
preserving the history now. (I'm an archivist at heart! Cecilia would
be proud. ;-) Ron has the uri/n archives and that gives a good 'history'.
I'm now looking for pre-history just so I can make sure it gets preserved
somewhere. That stuff was just damn interesting to read. If you can
find an electronic copy of your paper I'd appreciate a copy so I can
put it into the archive I'm going to build. The other thing I'm looking
for is the url mailing list archive.

-MM

Michael Mealling	| 505 Huntmar Park Drive       | Phone:  (703)742-0400
Software Engineer	| Herndon, VA 22070	       | Fax:    (703)742-9552
Network Solutions	| <URL:http://www.netsol.com>  | michaelm@rwhois.net