Re: "Difficult Characters" draft

A 12:40 97-05-05 -0400, Leslie Daigle a écrit :

>On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Alain LaBont/e'/ wrote:
>> A 17:58 97-05-02 +0200, Martin J. Duerst a écrit :
>> [Larry] :
>>
>[snip]

[Alain] :
>> However accents normally don't count much for alphabetic order, they are
>> considerwed only in case of quasi-homography (cote, côte, coté, côté,
>> pèche, pêche, péché).

[Leslie] :
>My apologies if this has already been addressed earlier in the thread, but
>this jumped out at me as being a potential point of confusion.
>
>Namely, while accents don't count for alphabetic order in French, there
>are other languages with characters which can wrongly be perceived as
"accented
>characters" to people familiar with only a-z.
>
>For example, "o" and "ö" are unrelated characters in Swedish, so it
>would be erroneous to say that they are equivalent in an accent-insensitive
>search.  Lexicographically, "ö" is the last character in the alphabet
>in Swedish.
>
>So, "accent-insensitive" matching is pretty well language-dependent.

[Alain] :
Of course! Same for ñ which is simply an accented n in French cañon and a
letter on its own in Spanish cañon... In other words, in Spanish, searching
on "canon" shall never retrieve "cañon"; in French it could, for unprecise
searches, as well as the word "canon"...

Tack so myket!

Alain LaBonté
Québec