Re: "Difficult Characters" draft

Patrik Faltstrom (paf@swip.net)
Tue, 6 May 1997 11:03:18 +1000 (EST)

Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 11:03:18 +1000 (EST)
From: Patrik Faltstrom <paf@swip.net>
To: "Alain LaBont/e'/" <alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca>
cc: Leslie Daigle <leslie@bunyip.com>,
Subject: Re: "Difficult Characters" draft

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Alain LaBont/e'/ wrote:

> A 12:40 97-05-05 -0400, Leslie Daigle a crit :
> >For example, "o" and "" are unrelated characters in Swedish, so it
> >would be erroneous to say that they are equivalent in an accent-insensitive
> >search.  Lexicographically, "" is the last character in the alphabet
> >in Swedish.
> >
> >So, "accent-insensitive" matching is pretty well language-dependent.
>
> [Alain] :
> Of course! Same for  which is simply an accented n in French caon and a
> letter on its own in Spanish caon... In other words, in Spanish, searching
> on "canon" shall never retrieve "caon"; in French it could, for unprecise
> searches, as well as the word "canon"...

The o and the  in Swedish is as equal as E and F in english, i.e. only
"some" graphics differs :-) Is a E a F with an underline?

> Tack so myket!

Almost! The correct spelling is "Tack s mycket!" in Swedish :-) (and I
will not write the same thing in french...) Alain do though point out one
other thing, that  in swedish is closer to o than  is to o. I.e. in
Swedish, equality between o and  is ok, but not between  and o.

Yes, it is messy...

    Patrik