Re: revised "generic syntax" internet draft

Ron Daniel, Jr. (rdaniel@lanl.gov)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:54:29 -0600

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:54:29 -0600
To: Jon Knight <jon@net.lut.ac.uk>
From: "Ron Daniel, Jr." <rdaniel@lanl.gov>
Subject: Re: revised "generic syntax" internet draft
Cc: uri@bunyip.com

At 11:20 AM 4/16/97 +0100, Jon Knight wrote:
>IMHO the push for I18N should be in Uniform
>Resource *Names*, not URLs, so that the broken "put meaning in an address"
>paradigm isn't perpetuated even further than it currently is.

The URN-WG has a particular I18N position, but that is to allow
for the representation of things like Japanese bank account identifiers.
We are NOT trying to use I18N features in order to provide the short,
human-friendly, identifiers that many people would like to see.

Regards,

Ron Daniel Jr.              voice:+1 505 665 0597
Advanced Computing Lab        fax:+1 505 665 4939
MS B287                     email:rdaniel@lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab      http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~rdaniel
Los Alamos, NM, USA, 87545