Re: revised "generic syntax" internet draft

John C Klensin (klensin@mci.net)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:48:08 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:48:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: John C Klensin <klensin@mci.net>
Subject: Re: revised "generic syntax" internet draft
To: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
Cc: fielding@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU, uri@bunyip.com,
        Dan Oscarsson <Dan.Oscarsson@trab.se>

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:35:16 +0200
Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no wrote:

> Factoid:
>
> UTF-8 is not user-friendly in 8859-1; the standard coding octets for
> putting the 8859-1 charset into UTF-8 insert one character in front of
> each character, and also change the last character for the 4 uppermost
> columns of the 8859-1 character table.

My apologies.  I should have said something more like "more
user-friendly for Latin-1 than it is for upper-end
ideographic characters, where it deteriorates even more
severely :-(

Given the bad behavior *even* for 8859-1, could someone
please remind me why we are pushing the thing rather than a
straight 16 or 32-bit encoding with compression if needed?
(Please, that is a rhetorical question only -- we don't
need another flaming chain on the subject).

    john