Re: UTF-8 URL for testing

Martin J. Duerst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 12:52:25 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 12:52:25 +0200 (MET DST)
From: "Martin J. Duerst" <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
To: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
Cc: Francois Yergeau <yergeau@alis.com>, uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: UTF-8 URL for testing

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997 Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no wrote:

> Result of testing of Francois' page with Netscape 3.0:

Result of testing Francois' page with Netscape 4.0 (Preview Release 2,
on Solaris (with DISPLAY on SunOS):

- The character encoding of the document, as announced by the server,
	was recoginzed by the browser, and the characters appeared
	correctly (co^te' with the ^ and ' over their preceeding character).
- The same is true if you have a look at the source (congratulations to
	Netscape! I wouldn't have expected that to work), but not in the
	location field or at the bottom of the page. In those places,
	the data is interpreted as Latin-1. One can type in accented
	characters into the Location field using the "compose" key on the
	Sun keyboard, but these again are encoded as Latin-1.
- The %-encoded versions are displayed with percent signs.

My conclusion: Raw UTF-8 URLs are partially supported, and for the rest
are "mostly harmless" (that is, they just display bizarrely); %HH-encoded
UTF-8 URLs are supported and displayed with encoding.

> Pair of fact beats house of theory - thanks, Francois!

Thanks from my side, too.	Martin.