Re: revised "generic syntax" and "data:" internet drafts

Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 15:52:51 PST

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 15:52:51 PST
From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
To: Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@innosoft.com>
Cc: IETF URI list <uri@bunyip.com>, ietf-url@imc.org
Subject: Re: revised "generic syntax" and "data:" internet drafts

Chris,

> >   ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fielding-url-syntax-04.txt
> Section 2.1.3 largely duplicates section 2.5.
> Section 2.2.2 has a "of of"
> I think the process in section 3 is unworkable.

I think you were looking at a different document, since there is no
section
2.1.3, 2.2.2, and section 3 is not about process. (All of the process
stuff
was removed).

> I think the ":<password>" should be removed from the default Internet
> component.  Otherwise you encourage plaintext passwords (people will use
> them anyway if really necessary).

This isn't the "default" Internet component, it is the "generic"
Internet
component. And the security considerations section says:

   It is clearly unwise to use a URL that contains a password which is
   intended to be secret.

Need it say more?
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter