Re: revised "generic syntax" and "data:" internet drafts

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Larry Masinter wrote:

> I haven't seen announcements on these drafts, but there's
> a revised "generic syntax" draft:
>
>   ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fielding-url-syntax-04.txt

I think the ":<password>" should be removed from the default Internet
component.  Otherwise you encourage plaintext passwords (people will use
them anyway if really necessary).

I wrote the IMAP URL scheme based on what's in there and now I'm being
told to remove the password component.

> (There is also a revision of the 'process' document which I will send
> to the ietf-url list).

Section 2.1.3 largely duplicates section 2.5.

Section 2.2.2 has a "of of"

I think the process in section 3 is unworkable.  I'd suggest:
schemes for common use should be standards track or IESG approved
experimental
other schemes are informational RFCs (potentially with
references), but the IESG reserves the right to attach a usage advisory to
the document, and delegate review of such documents as necessary.
Use first-come, first-serve for ordering.

Simple processes are easier to administer.