Re: http charset labelling

Masataka Ohta (mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp)
Wed, 7 Feb 96 12:20:06 JST

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: http charset labelling
To: gtn@ebt.com (Gavin Nicol)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 96 12:20:06 JST
Cc: masinter@parc.xerox.com, keld@dkuug.dk, uri@bunyip.com

> I guess you, I, and a lot of other people, think that if people really
> want to be global, they should avoid using kanji, or whatever, in
> URL's. However, as a persoan at Astec said, and I agree, people *will*
> put kanji into resource names, and they *will* expect it to work. As
> such, I think it better to design a system that can handle *all*
> cases, as users expect them to be handled.

Just make viewers bounce any URL with the 8th bit set or, at least,
mask the bit. '%' notation should still be accepted.

It is also a good idea to do the same thing at the protocol
specification level that:

	8th bit of URL MUST be 0. Should a malformed URL is found,
	its 8th bit MAY be masked to be 0. Otherwise the URL MUST
	be rejected.

Then, non-ASCII URLs will disappear.

You can see that no people are using mail address with kanji, which
is why we can communicate internationally.

							Masataka Ohta