Re: localization

Masataka Ohta (mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp)
Wed, 7 Feb 96 12:32:21 JST

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: localization
To: Dennis_Hamilton@pa.xerox.com (Hamilton Dennis)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 96 12:32:21 JST
Cc: uri@bunyip.com

> In an earlier exchange on the the URI distribution list, you made the
>  comment "that's why localization doesn't work" or something like that.
>
> I thought that was interesting.
>
> On reflection, I'm not clear what you saw.
>
> Are you saying that there is an inherent defect in localization?

In this case, yes.

>  Do
>  you mean in principle or in a particular way of doing it?
> I want to understand this better.

Sometimes, like with full ISO 2022, multiple localizations can be
freely mixed, in which case, localization can be a step toward
internationalization.

But, having mutually exclusive localizations and switch between them
is just a pain, which is why EUC nor UNICODE is not internationalization.

As for URLs, localized people can not be compatible with
localized URLs unless they share the same locale.

						Masataka Ohta