Re: mid and cid URLs

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 00:27:11 PST
To: ned@sigurd.innosoft.com
Cc: asg@severn.wash.inmet.com, moore@cs.utk.edu, asg@severn.wash.inmet.com, elevinso@Accurate.COM, ietf-types@cs.utk.edu, uri@bunyip.com
For what it's worth, 'cid:' was almost in RFC 1738. Both 'cid:' and
'mid:' exist in RFC 1630. They weren't included in RFC 1738 mainly
because at the time I couldn't figure out what they were good for, I
knew of no implementations, and there were no volunteers to review the
specification of them. All of these conditions no longer hold.

In arriving at new URL schemes, I think RFC 1630 is a good baseline
document: if you change it, have a good reason.