Re: IETF meeting agenda

Dirk.vanGulik (Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it)
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 11:05:57 +0200

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 11:05:57 +0200
From: "Dirk.vanGulik" <Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it>
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com, uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: IETF meeting agenda

> I think this and related topics should be our first agenda item at the
> next meeting. In our two hours, I would like to allocate at least 1
> hour to URN issues, and the remaining time between

> Before submitting an agenda, are there any other topics that we should
> cover?

I would not mind if we could break up the URN issues into a few chunks;

- URN content; i.e. what does a URN point to; just some URI/URL's or
  real meta data. What metadata do we want; just name/date/subject or
  also admin data to as who submitted the record, who owns the data
  pointed to and who is responsible for record and/or resource and/or
  resolving

- URN Naming authorities, tied in with DNS, or tailored to this kind
  of resource naming. Or both ? Authorative or Tree-structured free ?

- Actual URN Resolving; DNS to find a resolving host and
  second name-space resolving to resolve the URN ? or a flatter
  and very specific name-space and resolving technique.

- Transition period; what can we do to tie urn and urls together
  within the current generation of browsers.

- Short (7 mins) overviews of various relevant projects and
  activities currently taking place. (Just for 'social' reasons :-)

Just an idea,

Dw.