Re: mailserver scheme, third round

Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Mon, 16 Jan 1995 16:52:14 +0000 (GMT)

From: sdw@lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)
Subject: Re: mailserver scheme, third round
To: ietf-lists@proper.com (Paul Hoffman)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 16:52:14 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: berg@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de, uri@bunyip.com

> >Just a random thought: RFC822 does not require a space to follow the
> >delimiting colon of a field name.  So, does this mean that your example
> >merely describes a Subject field without a leading space?  Or does it
> >mean that the mailserver URL should always cause a space to be added
> >in the final message?

I agree, but don't have time to look it up today, that the spec requires
a space after the :...  Almost positive, and I've seen parsing code
that insists on it.  Just as the blank line delimits the header,
the space delimits the tag.  (Technically, the colon does, and I
wouldn't want to try having a : in the tag, but the space further
delimits it.)

Why reply if I don't have time to get the spec?  I don't know...

--
Stephen D. Williams    25Feb1965 VW,OH      sdw@lig.net http://www.lig.net/sdw
Senior Consultant      510.503.9227 CA Page 513.496.5223 OH Page BA Aug94-Dec95