Re: mailserver scheme, third round

Paul Hoffman (ietf-lists@proper.com)
Mon, 16 Jan 1995 12:34:23 -0800

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 12:34:23 -0800
To: berg@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stephen R. van den Berg)
From: ietf-lists@proper.com (Paul Hoffman)
Subject: Re: mailserver scheme, third round
Cc: uri@bunyip.com

>Just a random thought: RFC822 does not require a space to follow the
>delimiting colon of a field name.  So, does this mean that your example
>merely describes a Subject field without a leading space?  Or does it
>mean that the mailserver URL should always cause a space to be added
>in the final message?

Neither. It means that, even though most of us are used to seeing things
like "Subject: list" in our mail clients, people should not create URLs
like <mailserver://bigstate.edu/Subject:%20list/>. The leading space (which
must be encoded) is superfluous, and may be confusing to some mail servers
who expect no leading whitespace in the Subject header.

--Paul Hoffman
--Proper Publishing