Re: mailserver scheme, third round

From: Paul Hoffman <ietf-lists@proper.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 14:27:12 -0800
To: sdw@lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)
Cc: berg@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de, uri@bunyip.com
>I agree, but don't have time to look it up today, that the spec requires
>a space after the :...  Almost positive, and I've seen parsing code
>that insists on it.  Just as the blank line delimits the header,
>the space delimits the tag.  (Technically, the colon does, and I
>wouldn't want to try having a : in the tag, but the space further
>delimits it.)

I don't know the insides of the parsers, but I think I know how to read
RFC822. From the spec:

     3.1.2.  STRUCTURE OF HEADER FIELDS

        Once a field has been unfolded, it may be viewed as being com-
        posed of a field-name followed by a colon (":"), followed by a
        field-body, and  terminated  by  a  carriage-return/line-feed.
        The  field-name must be composed of printable ASCII characters
        (i.e., characters that  have  values  between  33.  and  126.,
        decimal, except colon).  The field-body may be composed of any
        ASCII characters, except CR or LF.  (While CR and/or LF may be
        present  in the actual text, they are removed by the action of
        unfolding the field.)

. . .
     3.2.  HEADER FIELD DEFINITIONS
. . .
     field       =  field-name ":" [ field-body ] CRLF
. . .

I don't see any space in there.

>Why reply if I don't have time to get the spec?  I don't know...

You mean you don't carry a copy around with you? :-)