Re: Library Standards and URIs

Andrew Pam (avatar@jolt.mpx.com.au)
Tue, 3 Jan 1995 13:25:03 +1100 (EST)

From: avatar@jolt.mpx.com.au (Andrew Pam)
Subject: Re: Library Standards and URIs
To: rdaniel@acl.lanl.gov (Ronald E. Daniel)
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 13:25:03 +1100 (EST)
Cc: hoymand@gate.net, michael.mealling@oit.gatech.edu, uri@bunyip.com

>    Should we use a simple indication of level or use a URN to
>    identify the attribute set in a URC?

I would support the latter, as it is another step closer to Xanadu-style
hyperlinks.  As documented in "Literary Machines" and elsewhere, Xanadu
hyperlinks have a "type" endset as well as a "from" and a "to" endset for
just this reason (that is, allowing an infinitely extensible set of link
types).  They also have a "home" endset, representing the document in which
the link is contained, which is therefore not necessarily the same as the
document the link points from or to, a capability sadly missing from WWW.

I am continually fascinated how pioneering designs are recapitulated...

Share and enjoy,
		*** AVATAR ***
--
Andrew Pam                                      avatar@aus.xanadu.com