TEI as a starting point for URCs

Ronald E. Daniel (rdaniel@acl.lanl.gov)
Tue, 3 Jan 1995 08:43:04 -0700

From: "Ronald E. Daniel" <rdaniel@acl.lanl.gov>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 08:43:04 -0700
To: hoymand@gate.net
Subject: TEI as a starting point for URCs
Cc: uri@bunyip.com

Dirk Herr-Hoyman sez:

> what do you think about using an existing SGML DTD, the TEI header,
> that has addressed the bibliographic encoded issues from a library
> catalogers point of view.

Sounds OK to me so far - in fact, the date and time stuff in my
sketch of a URC DTD are taken straight from the TEI stuff.

My concern about using the TEI DTD for URCs is complexity. If memory
serves, TEI has 3 levels of bibliographic description - one
to describe standalone works, one for works in a collection, and
one for describing collections. I am not so sure that we want to carry
this mindset on to electronic works.

I will take a more detailed look through the TEI stuff and see what we
might be able to do for a simple, useful, compatible subset.

Ron