Re: Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

Awesome work, thank you.

Two minor points:

a. I wonder if the header section, which consists of links to other places, could be better styled/presented? No hurry, but it’s not a pretty first thing to read.

b. Pseudo-code. We seem to be dropping into a style of describing algorithms with numbered lines and occasional goto statements (sometimes cleverly disguised as returnto). See, for example, 5.1 of <http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-navigation-timing-2-20150924/> — search for the text “to step”. I have no problem with using indentation to indicate blocks (i.e. not needing “{“ and “}”), but overall, surely, as a community, we can do better than this?  I admit this is only somewhat a styling/presentation problem, and more of a culture question, but is there anything we can do to make these pseudo-code blocks more readable, and well, (trying hard not to be pejorative), modern (at least, post-1968 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Considered_harmful#cite_note-dijkstra1968-2>)?

and a question:

It would be great for the community to try this new style-sheet on a wide variety of documents. What steps would an editor take to try that, or are we waiting for a respec/bikeshed update?

> On Oct 29, 2015, at 11:14 , Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org> wrote:
>

> Dear Editors,
> Advisory Committee representative, Chairs,
>
> Back in May [1], we expressed our intention to update the style sheets used by future W3C Drafts, starting on 1 January 2016. Elika Etemad kindly agreed [2] to be the Design point person for 2015.
>
> The final proposal from Elika is available:
>  http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/w3c-restyle/2016/
>
> A sample document is also available:
>  http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/w3c-restyle/2016/sample
>
> The list of substantive improvements is available:
>  http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/w3c-restyle/2016/base.css
>
> We welcome your feedback on the proposal by 27 November 2015 at the latest, in e-mail to <spec-prod@w3.org> or using Github [3].
>
> Thank you,
>
> For Tim Berners-Lee, Director,
> Philippe Le Hegaret, Interaction Domain Lead,
> Elika Etemad, Design point person for 2015;
> Coralie Mercier, Head of W3C Marketing & Communications
>
> [1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2015AprJun/0010.html
> [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2015AprJun/0018.html
> [3] https://github.com/w3c/tr-design/issues
>
> --