RE: Proposed Final Design for W3C Technical Reports style in 2016

One related example is to adjust cross references the style within a document based on media. Potential flavors are:

1.       Use the Section/Table/Figure/Equation number as the link "(See Table x-y)"

2.       Use the header name or caption as the link "(See Foo Feature)"

3.       Use both "(See Table x-y: Foo Feature)"

Another issue is external reference style.

1.       Use "[XXX99]" that points to the references section.

2.       Include the reference inline "[...bibliography stuff...]"

3.       Use "[XXX99]", and add a hover over with the full bibliography details.

Yet another issue is footnote style.

1.       Superscript number as a reference to a footnote page.

2.       Footnote inline in a different font style to distinguish it.

3.       Superscript number as a reference to a footnote page adding a hover over containing the footnote text.

4.       Click box to show/hide the footnote contents inline

One common feature of these cases is that the generation tools have all the information. If they "automatically" produced everything in the output html, we could define CSS conventions to identify the pieces and permit hiding what was not relevant for the context (and add the ":" for the both case).

The key item here would be to define CSS conventions for this up front so that the various generation tools can do the right thing.

Steveg