Re: Editor's drafts on /TR/… ftw, was Re: new TR tools and editor's drafts?

On 03/07/2013 15:07 , Shane McCarron wrote:
> I agree with much of this.  However, I would not like to see working
> groups be able to update documents in the final states of the process
> (e.g., CR, PR, REC, PER) without staff review and approval.  Those are
> the lawyer documents, and W3C has liability and responsibility.

Certainly, and the steps above also include FPWD (since that's a very
fundamental trigger in the patent policy). In any case, doing anything
else for the above would involve changing the Process, which is pretty
much what I'm hearing everyone says we shouldn't do. We're essentially
talking about WD updates.

Ideally, pressing the button would:

• Pull a given commit from a git repo.
• Run the generation tool if it's one of the supported ones (otherwise
you provide HTML).
• Run some minimal pubrules (HTML validity and checking that some basic
elements of the headers are correct — nothing more). Reject if fails.
• Publish.

To be fair though, in the past few years (before joining the Team) I've
never had to wait more than 24h before releasing a WD. DAP had its calls
on Wednesday afternoons Paris time, and we always made the Thursday
publication window. Beyond the advantages in simplicity in letting
groups push WDs out by themselves (if nothing else it would free up time
for the webmaster to do more interesting things), it might be useful to
figure out why some groups seem to need much more time than that. Not
knowing those problems, it's a definite possibility that they won't go
away if we add automation.