Re: Editor's drafts on /TR/… ftw, was Re: new TR tools and editor's drafts?

On Wednesday 2013-07-03 15:24 +0200, Robin Berjon wrote:
> To be fair though, in the past few years (before joining the Team)
> I've never had to wait more than 24h before releasing a WD. DAP had

The publications I've been involved in in the past two years are:

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-conditional/ has had 4 TR publications:

               publi-
               cation
               process
stat pubdate   started delay
FPWD 20110901 20110803 29
  WD 20120911 20120910  1
LCWD 20121213 20121115 28
  CR 20130404 20130220 43

Since I became the main active editor,
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-transitions/ has had 2 TR publications:

  WD 20120403 20120329  5
  WD 20130213 20130208  5

So one day turnaround feels more like the exception to me than the
rule.  Even 5 days is long enough that I've likely forgotten about
it, and might forget to make the announcement to the relevant
mailing lists, blogs, and twitter accounts.  (And there have
definitely been cases of neither the editor nor the working group
being notified when a TR publication happens, so we actually do have
to remember!)

It's also mostly the things that involve extra approvals that take
ridiculous amounts of time, but not entirely.  (The 28 day LCWD
above was a case where the publication request was made on a
Thursday for the following Tuesday, the publication didn't actually
happen, and nobody remembered to check on the issue for a few weeks,
since by the Tuesday 5 days later, we'd forgotten about such old
news.)

-David