Re: Editor's drafts on /TR/… ftw, was Re: new TR tools and editor's drafts?

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 14:39:00 +0100
To: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Cc: shane@aptest.com, Shane McCarron <ahby@aptest.com>, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>, "spec-prod@w3.org Prod" <spec-prod@w3.org>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> To be fair though, in the past few years (before joining the Team) I've
> never had to wait more than 24h before releasing a WD.

And your 1 week CFCs?
> DAP had its calls
> on Wednesday afternoons Paris time, and we always made the Thursday
> publication window. Beyond the advantages in simplicity in letting
> groups push WDs out by themselves (if nothing else it would free up time
> for the webmaster to do more interesting things), it might be useful to
> figure out why some groups seem to need much more time than that. Not
> knowing those problems, it's a definite possibility that they won't go
> away if we add automation.

Here are the problems: It's all that process… having to email the Chair, having to convert the spec from ED to WD and move it to a separate branch on GH, wait for approval from the Chair, wait 1 week for some CFC that no one ever gives a crap about because it's just a WD, etc. etc. Then being frustrated that one day after you publish you fix a bunch of stuff, and they you again have to go through the same annoying process.

I just want to have one document. I want to copy it to /TR/ whenever I want (so long as it's within the W3C process). If someone has a problem with what's on TR, that's what the bug tracker is for.

With regards to CR, LC: we need to see those not as static documents, but a as "phases": during the LC phase, which spans some period of time, one can make fixes but the process remains in LC. The same with CR - which can lead to a violation (normative change), which casts you back to WD and again to the LC phase (which is locked in for some period of time). It's not that hard.

--
Marcos Caceres