Re: Text obscured by error messages

On 21/06/2013 15:17, Richard Ishida wrote:
> Btw, changing the link allowed me to dismiss the error msgs. (It did,
> however, break some other bits of my document.)

In my (very old, reactivated) document, I had lots of 'mustard', as we
called it - requirements with a yellow background (this is a second part
of the Character Model).

I was initially pleasantly surprised to note that the yellow background
appeared automatically behind divs with class=req.

When i changed to the latest version of respec, however, the source code
went from:

class="rfc2119">must not</em> assume that   content is in any particular
normalization form. </p>

to:

class="rfc2119">MUST NOT</em> assume that   content is in any particular
normalization form. </p>

ie. adding an ugly and unwanted numbered link, that doesn't actually
link anywhere.

I assumed that I could easily enough make it go away by adding a line of
css to prevent display of that a element, but there are issues:
(1) since there is no class name on the a element, i'd have to hope that
it always follows immediately after class="req"> in order to select it.
(Probably not an issue, but I'm not 100% sure.)
(2) my style rule wouldn't remove the ":" - this is a bigger problem,
and I think a design flaw.
(3) anyway, i don't necessarily want that junk hanging around in the
source code.

So I'm assuming that I now have to either change all my req class names
to something else and add my own styling, or overwrite the javascript
that adds the 'junk' - I don't really have time or the inclination for
that - much less the WG folks who actually produced this version of the doc.

What would really help, actually, is a table that gives a list of
reserved classNames, and indicates what they do.  I'd have thought that
that wouldn't take too long to write, but would yield significant,
immediate benefits for users. (It ought to be a requirement to keep that
up to date if you tinker with the respec code.)

RI

--
Richard Ishida, W3C
http://rishida.net/