Re: The future of the W3C?

Martynas and all
cc AI KR CG

thanks for sharing -
We may perceive the chill of gloom, good to be informed

yes, we should be respectful of the privacy of individuals, we should also
be respectful of the right of the community to know what is going on with
the common good
The web is all we've got,its part of the commons
right?
 who owns the commons, who manages the commons? (long story!! nothing new)

we know that W3C has been going through a lot of transformations in recent
years
and , pretty much like everything, it will continue to do so
Everything changes all the time
some things get better, some get worse, (sorry for stating the obvious)

For me W3C (this list in particular) has been/is a place where I could
interact with the folks who were making the web happen, and also possibly
make a contribution , whether a point of view or a question or an idea. I
hope it aint dead yet.

It has been amazing to be able to jump on board and be even just a small
part of a the journey, despite tensions,  conflicts, ad hominem
argumentations, the occasional rant and charade

If the future of WEB inc is going to be corporate- as it has always been
the possibility, I hope it will preserve its community base and
participatory status, and it is not just going to be about politics
(corporations run the commons, shareholders run corporations)

Changes can also be an opportunity to make new starts

For example Start a new W3C type of cooperative for those who dont like to
be part of the corporate movement and yet would like to stay in the loop of
developments and make contributions to the future of the web (I cant
remember if there is another web already somewhere)

What W3C represents is not just standards, is also accountable transparent
administration and principles, which must be practiced and taught to future
generations as they were passed down to us  It is heritage of humanity and
civilization,
 should have protected heritage status

It would be great if the large tech companies can pay the salaries of
staffers,and it would also be great if we could continue an independently
organized transparent and well informed collective powered by volunteers

I hope Martynas, Danbri and Ivan and other committed folks can make the
other W3C happen alongside whatever the market offers in terms of a deal
Count on us!

We've been holding fort at the AI KR CG
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aikr/

I take this opportunity to THANK everyone at W3C for the work done until now
(paid, not paid, with job title or without) and for maintaining a place
where things can be discussed openly, better signal with noise, than no
signal at all

I wish everyone the warmest, merriest of winters

PDM