Re: Request for feedback about RDF-star

We discussed this on our RDF-star call today. I originally supported using the original RDF namespace for this. The single URI we would mint would be for defining a type for triples, at least when they can be embedded. For example, this would be useful for describing the range and domain of properties where the subject/object can be inferred to be a triple, as opposed to some other kind of resource. Having a type for triples doesn’t seem to be too inconsistent with any other interpretation in RDF, but of course, “there lie dragons” …

My feeling now is that we should use a separate namespace, but moreover, mint a URI that is clearly intended to be transitional and strongly advise that it NOT be used for any long-term use. Noting that intended use of such a URI is, in any case, intended for vocabulary/ontology documents and not for end-user data, may help in limiting the potential for misuse.

A URI such as http://www.w3.org/ns/rdf-star/EmbeddedTriple#not-to-be-used-after-2021 might clarify the intended lifetime, and the CG report should make it clear that it SHOULD NOT be used for purposes other than validating the utility of the RDF-star approach might help.

IETF make similar statements about the expiration of draft reports [1]:

> Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any time.

We should consider that similar wording accompany any CG report.

Gregg Kellogg
gregg@greggkellogg.net

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/demo/www.ietf.org/submit/