Re: Request for feedback about RDF-star

On Mar 24, 2021, at 07:17 PM, Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net> wrote:
> However, as Ora seems to be indicating the RDF Syntax Spec says:
> https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-Namespace
>
> "Any other names are not defined and SHOULD generate a warning when
> encountered, but should otherwise behave normally.", which seems to
> indicate that the expectation is that the names is a fixed set.

This seems to me to be a misinterpretation of the quoted text.

"Generating a warning" is a significant hand wave, as this might
be invisible to the user for various reasons (and that invisibility
might be OK, again for various reasons).

To my eyes, "should otherwise behave normally" is license to add.

"Undefined" has typically meant that implementations are free to
experiment, and if consensus emerges from such experimentation,
it becomes part of the next-version spec from the next-generation
WG that takes on revision/updating of that spec.

(If consensus does not emerge from community implementations, or
the next WG defines next-gen behavior that differs from some
experimental implementation, such experiments are expected to
fade out over time, as implementations claim compatibility or
compliance with the new spec version...)

Regards,

Ted