Re: Developers don't use the Semantic Web because they shouldn't

Hello Henry,

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 05:48:19PM +0100, Henry Story wrote:
> I don't know. I see lots of articles that show that graph databases are growing such as this one
> https://hub.packtpub.com/2018-year-of-graph-databases/ <https://hub.packtpub.com/2018-year-of-graph-databases/>

That something is hyped does not mean it is suitable for everyone. Take
Machine Learning as an example. The problem of asking the right question and
providing enough good ground truth for it does not seem to go away. Again,
only the biggest players have the necessary amount of data and expertise.

It looks spectacular When ML models play video games but IMO that's just
procedurally generated ground truth. How is this applicable to real world
problems?

All these technologies have their use cases - let's be realistic about when
they are suitable and when not.

Also thanks to Martynas for that article from the Atlantic. I think formal
proofs of correctness will become important in the future - also by way of
systems that are deliberately decidable / not Turing complete. It's often a
PITA to work with them but the added security they provide will be appreciated.

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer