Re: ✅ Literals as subjects Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

On 11/22/18 6:59 AM, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:>

 >> On 2018-11 -21, at 22:40, David Booth <david@dbooth.org
 >> <mailto:david@dbooth.org>> wrote:
 >>
 >> 7. Literals as subjects.  RDF should allow "anyone to say
 >> anything about anything", but RDF does not currently allow
 >> literals as subjects!  (One work-around is to use -- you guessed
 >> it -- a blank node, which in turn is asserted to be owl:sameAs
 >> the literal.)  This deficiency may seem unimportant relative
 >> to other RDF difficulties, but it is a peculiar anomaly that
 >> may have greater impact than we realize.  Imagine an *average*
 >> developer, new to RDF, who unknowingly violates this rule and
 >> is puzzled when it doesn't work.  Negative experiences like
 >> that drive people away.  Even more insidiously, imagine this
 >> developer tries to CONSTRUCT triples using a SPARQL query,
 >> and some of those triples happen to have literals in the
 >> subject position.  Per the SPARQL standard, those triples will
 >> be silently eliminated from the results,[13] which could lead
 >> to silently producing wrong answers from the application --
 >> the worst of all possible bugs.
 >>

 > Agreed.
 >
 > I thought we had fixed that in some later spec but I guess not.

I tried (hard) to get it fixed in RDF1.1, but it was repeatedly
ruled out because our charter, delivered on tablets of stone by
W3C, did not allow us to make such changes.

 > All code I have written, like cwm and rdflib.js, allows the same
 > things in subject and object positions.  Life is too short for
 > arbitrary unnecessary asymmetry.

Indeed. But also, not allowing literal subjects means that RDF
reasoning cannot be complete, because there are valid derivations
whose antecedents and (valid) conclusions are both in valid RDF
syntax, but must use triples in generalized syntax. Putting
semantically meaningless restrictions on a logical syntax is bad
logical design as well.

Pat Hayes

--
call or text to 850 291 0667