Re: Pragmatic Problems in the RDF Ecosystem (Was: Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal)

On 12/10/18 5:31 AM, Christopher Yocum wrote:
 > On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 23:56:29 -0500 David Booth wrote:
>> What OWL2 features do you use, i.e., what inference constructs?
>
> The easiest way to see that is to look at:
> https://github.com/cyocum/irish-gen/blob/master/earlyIrishRelationship.ttl

That's very helpful.   One more question: I see that you use
owl:differentFrom quite a lot.  Are you making use of that in a reasoner
somewhere in your work?  In other words, would your application behave
differently if you did not have the owl:differentFrom assertions in your
RDF?  If so, how?

BTW, I noticed one odd thing in your use of owl:inverseOf, that looks
like it may be a mistake.   I see this:

   :friendOfGroup  owl:inverseOf :antagonistOfGroup .

Normally owl:inverseOf states that one predicate simply swaps the order
of the subject and object of the inverse predicate, such as:

   f:hasHusband owl:inverseOf f:hasWife .

so that if you write:

   :fred f:hasWife :ginger .

you can infer:

   :ginger f:hasHusband :fred .

Similarly, if you had:

   :fred :friendOfGroup :ManchesterFans .

then a reasoner would infer:

   :ManchesterFans :antagonistOfGroup :fred .

and that doesn't seem like what you want.

Thanks,
David Booth