Re: What does SPARQL stand for?

On 06/10/11 13:21, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
> On 10/6/2011 7:50 AM, Sebastian Hellmann wrote:
>> Dear list,
>> please clarify. I really hate not being able to answer simple questions.
>> Here are the inconsistencies I found:
>>
>> *S*PARQL *P*rotocol *a*nd *R*DF *Q*uery *L*anguage
>> from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARQL
>> (No authorative reference for the acronym found though)
>
> This is correct.

Yes ...

but you shouldn't believe eveything on wikipedia because ...

>> *S*imple *P*rotocol *a*nd *R*DF *Q*uery *L*anguage
>> from Jeffrey Pollock. Semantic Web for Dummies. John Wiley & Sons Inc.,
>> Chichester, West
>> Sussex, Hoboken, NJ, 2009.
>
> I'm not sure where this came from.

This is also correct - in fact, it's more correct!

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0500.html

This is the form originally selected by DAWG, the working group at the
time.  (DAWG = Data Access Working Group, or in full RDF Data Access
Working Group).

I don't recall a decision to change it to "SPARQL Protocol and RDF Query
Language"; that evolved in DAWG over time.

Personally, I think of it a

   (Simple Protocol) and RDF Query Language

and don't have any problem with the "Simple" part.

But nowadays, in practice, SPARQL is SPARQL.

	Andy

PS Someone recently asked this about "ARQ" and ARQ has always been just
"ARQ".  It does not stand for anything.