Re: What does SPARQL stand for?

Hello Andy,

On 10/06/2011 03:08 PM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 06/10/11 13:21, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
>> On 10/6/2011 7:50 AM, Sebastian Hellmann wrote:
>>> Dear list,
>>> please clarify. I really hate not being able to answer simple
>>> questions.
>>> Here are the inconsistencies I found:
>>>
>>> *S*PARQL *P*rotocol *a*nd *R*DF *Q*uery *L*anguage
>>> from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARQL
>>> (No authorative reference for the acronym found though)
>>
>> This is correct.
>
> Yes ...
>
> but you shouldn't believe eveything on wikipedia because ...

I worked on DBpedia quite a while and I guess, it easy to forget, that
the Wikipedia pages only define meaning, because they are referencing
the authority, not because they are Wikipedia pages.

In this case, there is no authoritative document settling this issue,
except the new *draft* [1].
So, what is correct and what not is a matter of opinion and taste at the
moment, until this draft is accepted.

Personally, I would be +1 to Andy's interpretation. Finally, we found
some aspect of the Semantic Web that is indeed *simple* .
Why don't we change the draft, while there is still time.

Please don't forget my question, what to cite in an academic paper.
Probably the SPARQL query language recommendation [2],  if I am refering
to the query language as such.

Thank you for all your speedy answers,
Sebastian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-sparql11-protocol-20100126/